01 March 2012

1 March...Spring Cleaning Time?

The calendar certainly tells us it is the first day of March but as to the weather...
I know, I know...Spring is really not so far (another three weeks?) but still it is cold, windy and very damp on the island. Snow in the forecast...

The few rays of sun Mother Nature bestowed on our little adobe in the last few days tells me the wood stove ran havoc on the cleaning I had so far attempted. It seems it shined on every window's need to be washed, curtains and sheers in need of refreshing, cobwebs in corners, dust bunnies under counters, brass and copper waiting for a good polish, duvets in need of a good aeration and so on...Sigh...
Just thinking about it and I feel faint...

To make things worse there are countless sites as well as periodicals all willing to show you how to proceed (complete with printable lists!).
The voice of conscience?

So what is exactly Spring cleaning? 
A quick search tells us: 'Spring cleaning is the act of cleaning a house from top to bottom which was typically undertaken when the weather began to warm around springtime. It is no longer only associated with cleaning during the season of Spring but has come to be associated with any annual or deep cleaning.'

Needless to say, making a list of chores is not a 'new' thing, using 'green' sense in choosing (or making) a cleaning agent is as old as my Granny and we each have our personal way to deal with sprucing up our household after a long Winter's nap. 
Personally I prefer to open all windows and let fresh air in, scrub and polish as needed and use the laundry line for anything to be aired. I am only too happy to remove all winter woollies to the closet and replace it with spring and summer cottons! And voila!

That's the plan of course...Once the weather warms up...and the rain stops for a day or two...
Of course this Spring our roof is also being replaced and I must be prepared for the dust sure to accompany it...

For the moment however, I will tuck the magazine (filled with 'new' well meaning advice and countless  'brainwashing' ads) I perused, grab a book and put my feet up...
As Scarlett said in 'Gone with the Wind', there is always tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!