Irish scones ingredients:
- 1/2 stick/50g butter
- 2 cups /225g all-purpose flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 pint / 150 ml milk
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
Heat the oven to 450F/230C/Gas 8
- Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn the mixture on to a floured board and knead lightly, roll out to 2/cm / 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place on the baking tray and bake near the top of the hot oven for 8 - 10 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Split and fill with ham or cream and voila.
The evening is here and of course, this is the best time to peruse the bookshelves for a new book or just continue with the next chapter of a well loved classic.
Until the next time...