01 February 2011

Handkerchiefs Bonnets, Babies and Sharing

Someone mentioned a "Hanky" Bonnet a while back and I must admit I had never heard of this. Perhaps we have to credit some pioneer Mum for this lovely idea! I am sure you will find it as precious as I did!

First it is a handkerchief designed into a bonnet for Baby. Keep it until her/his wedding day, remove the ribbon and voila, it is a handkerchief once again.

Material:
10x10-1/2" square of linen or heirloom fabric or purchased ladies handkerchief
1-1/4 yards of 1" wide flat lace
1 yard of 1/4" satin ribbon
Embroidery thread

Directions:

Place lace along outside edges 1/4" in from edge. Stitch lace in place along edge. Trim away fabric from behind lace to stitching. Sew a decorative stitch to the edge of the handkerchief 5/8" from hem. To form bonnet, turn back 2-1/2" along one edge and press. Attach ribbon 1" in front of this fold at center and 1" in from both edges. Tack with small stitched heart. On opposite side, turn back 1", press and baste 5/8" from fold. Gather up and secure to form back of bonnet.

Something to treasure always!

And to put with the Bonnet:

TREASURE HANDKERCHIEF BONNET POEM

I'm just a little hankie
As square as square can be
But with a small stitch or two
A bonnet I will be.
I'll be worn from the hospital
Or on my christening day
And after that be folded
Then carefully put away.
When on that future wedding day
So we've been always told
The well-dressed bride must always
Wear something that is old.
So what could be more fitting
Then to find little me
And with a few fine stitches snipped
A wedding hankie be.
And if perchance it's a boy
Someday he'll surely wed
Then his bride can have the hankie
Once worn upon his head.

Dreaming, always dreaming...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!