07 November 2010

In the Dark Streets Shineth, book review


One of the many things a friend and neighbour often does for me is share the latest additions to her personal library. I love stories, especially when related to real facts. I especially like the Second World War Era albeit I cannot rightly say why, but combined with the advent of Christmas, I am always spellbound!This one can only be described as a gem!

In the Dark Streets Shineth
or a 1941 Christmas Eve Story as told by David McCullough relates the meeting and subsequent addresses by President Roosevelt and Prime minister Winston Churchill on the 24th of December 1941.

As President Roosevelt went on to say: "Our strongest weapon in this war is the conviction of dignity and brotherhood of man which Christmas day signifies".

In turn the Prime Minister would declare: "Here in the midst of war...here amid all the tumult, we have tonight the peace of the spirit in each cottage home and in every generous heart...
Here then for one night only, each home...should be a brightly lighted island of happiness and peace."

In this book you will find uplifting stories behind well loved songs such as "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and the unforgettable "I'll be home for Christmas" and marvelous photographs you will be able to share with the whole family.

In the Dark Streets Shineth is the sort of book that is sure to find its rightful place in your personal library and will surely be treasured for years to come.

I give it a 5 stars!

Please note this book review reflects my opinion only. I was neither asked to review it or to give it a positive review.
This book review is the first of many Christmas stories I would like to share with you in preparation for this upcoming Blessed Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to share dreams and always enjoy meeting kindred spirits!
Thank you for stopping by!